How we use your information
We primarily use your information for the purpose of delivering the products and services that you have chosen and to personalize our interactions (including advertising) with you. For further details about this, and other ways we may use your information, please read the sections below.
To provide products and services;
- To manage your access to our online content and apps, and to send you content via push notifications, newsletters, and email if you have requested us to do so.
- To manage customer service queries and complaints.
- To manage your privacy preferences and to ensure you only receive communications that you have requested, which may include using your details to suppress you from communications.
- To send you administrative messages about your account, reminders for upcoming events, service changes, or new policies. These updates, changes and notifications are essential for the services that you have selected.
- To provide general location-based services (e.g. the region or country you are in), advertising or search results for our content.
- To prevent users from posting illegal, offensive or objectionable comments on our site.
- To run competitions, prize draws and promotions or if you agree to be a speaker or contributor at, or in, one of our events. In these cases, subject to any specific terms IoT For All agrees with you separately, you grant a global right to IoT For All to use your name, picture, likeness, voice, biographical information and statements, for advertising, trade, publicity and promotional purposes in all media now known or discovered afterwards and on the internet.
To deliver marketing and advertising
We need your consent to use your information for some specific purposes such as marketing, brand response communications, and personalized advertising. Ways in which we will use your information if you consent are as follows:
- We may send marketing communications via a range of channels including email and push notifications and you can opt out of these at any time. If you give us marketing permission, we may contact you to tell you about special offers and related or similar products or services.
- We will ask you if you wish to opt-out of such marketing when you first sign up to receive our products or services. You can also opt out of email marketing at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails.
- In order to deliver advertising and marketing messages that are relevant to you, we may use the information we hold about you, including details that we collate from your use of our services or third parties, such as more precise information on your location, to ensure that the advertising you see is of interest to you.
Other uses of your information
Other than where we have asked for your consent, we mainly rely on two other separate bases to lawfully use your information. First, we need to use your information in certain ways to provide our products or services to you, in accordance with our contracts with you. In this case, it is necessary for us to use your information so that we can deliver the products or services you have chosen. Second, as described in more detail below, in certain cases, we may use your information where necessary to further our legitimate interests, where those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests:
- To measure customer and user response and engagement with our products and services such as online content, email newsletters, and subscription offers. This may include sharing your information with third parties who help us to analyze and measure these things.
- To ensure our products (including websites and apps) are compatible with the browsers and operating systems used by most of our visitors.
- To help us improve our customer and user experience and to support in new product development. We may send customer satisfaction surveys and market research questionnaires (for which we may share your information with third party suppliers employed by us).
- To create audience profiles for personalized advertising, marketing or research and development on and off our websites – See Audience Profiling and Social Media sections below for more detailed information.
- To detect and reduce fraudulent activity and for other security related purposes such as to help us protect against harassment, IP infringement, crime, or other security issues.
- For any purpose required by law or regulation and to verify information that we provide to third parties for compliance and audit purposes.
You have the right to object to any of the above uses of your information, please contact us if you wish to do so. We will consider all objections reasonably, but there may be legal reasons where we deem that the use of your information is still appropriate. We will explain our decision to you in a timely manner.
IoT For All publishes content on social media platforms e.g. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn through both “organic” and “paid” methods to reach current and potential readers:
- “Organic” methods describe where content and/or offers are published onto a social platform so that they may appear in your social platform’s content, without being promoted or forced to appear more prominently, e.g. IoT For All’s Facebook Page.
- “Paid” methods describe where content and/or offers are published onto a social platform so that they will appear more prominently, or be shown to users that do not currently follow IoT For All social pages e.g. a promoted tweet on your Twitter Timeline.
We may place one or more social media platform “tags” on our website in order to better understand how IoT For All may be of best value to you by providing you with the most relevant content available according to what you have chosen to read on our own websites. These tags only record information around events to help us understand if you are registered or subscribed with us, so that we may use your reading preferences to provide more relevant content and/or offers to you, on social media platforms, e.g. removing subscription offers from your feed if you are a current subscriber.
We do not have direct access to your personal data on your social media platforms.
How we use your details for audience profiling
To enable us to personalize the content and advertising you see (including on social media), we may use your interaction and browsing behavior or preferences (such as how and what you read on our websites and our apps) to create audience profiles. This is to enable content and message personalization, and in some cases, advertising to be delivered to you or a group of users (an audience) with similar interests to you. This can be done both on our site and on those of third parties.
We may analyze your individual information to create a profile of your interests and preferences as a part of an audience. These insights are used to help us make marketing decisions so that we can ensure our messages are relevant to you. There are times we may use additional information available from external sources to help us do this effectively (see How we work with third parties section below).
You can choose to opt out of our audience profiling activity if you wish. This does not mean that you will no longer see advertisements, it just means that the advertisements you will see are no longer personalized to your interests. Please contact us to do so.